Senior Design Requirements
The senior design requirement must be fulfilled during the senior year in one of three ways:
- Through enrollment in a formal 4-credit course from the list of "design courses".
- Through participation on a student project team, taken as MAE 4291, for at least 3 credits.
- Through an individual project with a faculty member, taken as MAE 4291, for at least 3 credits.
Note: Students may not use a senior design course to also fulfill one of the major-approved electives course requirements.
Consult the forms page for related senior design forms.
Submitting your senior design report and paperwork
- Senior Design Report - Turn in to design instructor.
- Complete Senior Design and Executive Summary report - this includes your Senior Design Report and Reflection Questions.
- Upload the Senior Design and Executive Summary Report using this online form.
Unless otherwise indicated by your design instructor, papers and accompanying paperwork is due by mid-December (Fall) or mid-May (Spring).
Senior Design Elective Designated Courses
MAE courses ending in "1" are designated as fulfilling the senior design requirement. Any of the following 4-credit courses may be used to fulfill the senior design requirement.
- MAE 4021: Wind Power
- MAE 4121: Community Wind Energy Research
- MAE 4131: Mechanics of Composite Structures
- MAE 4161: Spacecraft Technology and Systems Architecture
- MAE 4221: Introduction to Internet of Things--Technology and Engagement
- MAE 4231: Intermediate Fluid Dynamics
- MAE 4291: Supervised Senior Design Experience, 3 credits minimum
- MAE 4341: Innovative Product Design via Digital Manufacturing
- MAE 4351 Interdisciplinary Design Concepts (M.E. students may not count both MAE 4351 and MAE 4341 toward B.S. degree requirements)
- MAE 4441: Spacecraft Thermal Management
- MAE 4631: Advanced Product Design
- MAE 4641: Orthopaedic Tissue Mechanics
- MAE 4651: Biofluid Mechanics
- MAE 4671: Polymer Mechanics
- MAE 4721: Advanced Applications of Finite Element Analysis Using ANSYS
- MAE 4861: Automotive Engineering