Admissions for Cornell Students
The deadline for spring admission is October 15; fall admission deadline is February 1.
Steps to apply:
- Application: Visit the Graduate School website and fill out the online application for the semester in which you will actually be a graduate student (for early admits not the first semester where you will still be an undergraduate). An application fee of $105 is required. Do not be concerned about selecting a concentration or research interest; you have to pick one in order to continue with the application process but it does not matter for M.Eng. admission purposes.
- Statement of Purpose: This can be submitted online with the application. Your statement of purpose should be 2-3 paragraphs about why you want to earn your M.Eng. degree.
- Letters of Recommendation: If you have a GPA of 3.0 or above, you will need one letter of recommendation from a faculty member; if your GPA is below a 3.0, you will need two letters of recommendation. (It is rare for a student with a GPA below 3.0 to be admitted; it would be considered a provisional admit requiring a 3.0 in the first semester of the M.Eng. program to continue in the program). You can request that letters of recommendation be sent electronically by supplying the e-mail address of the recommender.
- Transcripts: Download transcript from Registrar.
- Graduate Record Exam: Cornell Undergraduates do not need to submit GRE Scores.
Early Admit Program
(applies only to Cornell applicants)
Cornell applicants may apply for early admission to the M.Eng. program if you have between one and eight credits left to complete your bachelor’s degree.
For early admits, the last semester of your undergraduate program serves as the first semester of your M.Eng. program although you are not officially a graduate student until you complete your B.S. degree.
The steps to apply are the same, except you will also need to complete an Early Admit Petition (PDF). This petition must be signed by your undergraduate field coordinator and handed into the M.Eng. Mailbox in 322A Upson Hall.
Online application for admission should be submitted for the semester you will be enrolled in the M.Eng. Program (Spring Early Admit applies to the M.Eng. Program for Fall admission, Fall Early Admit applies to the M.Eng. Program for Spring Admission).