Associate Professor Guy Hoffman's 2019 paper won the Andrew P. Sage Best Transactions Paper Award from IEEE. The paper is titled "Evaluating Fluency in Human-Robot Collaboration." Read more about Associate Professor Guy Hoffman won the Andrew P. Sage Best Transactions Paper Award
Guy Hoffman joined the faculty of the Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Cornell University in January 2016. Prior to that he was Assistant Professor at IDC Herzliya and co-director of the IDC Media Innovation Lab. Hoffman was a research fellow at the Georgia Institute of Technology and at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Hoffman holds a Ph.D from MIT in the field of human-robot interaction (HRI), and a M.Sc. in Computer Science from Tel Aviv University. He also studied animation at Parsons School of Design in NYC.
Hoffman studies computational, design, and social aspects of Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), focusing on human-robot collaboration and companionship. His research interests include embodied cognition for social robots, anticipation and timing in HRI and multi-agent MDPs, nonverbal behavior in HRI, robotics for the performing arts, and non-anthropomorphic robot design.
Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Designing Interactive Systems, Prototyping & Innovation Processes.
- 2016."What robots can teach us about intimacy: The reassuring effects of robot responsiveness to human disclosure."Computers in Human Behavior63: 416-423. .
- 2016."Robotic experience companionship in music listening and video watching."Personal and Ubiquitous Computing20(1): 51-63. .
- 2016."Computational Human-Robot Interaction."Foundations and Trends in Robotics4(2-3): 104-223. .
- 2016."Let's be honest: A controlled field study of ethical behavior in the presence of a robot."Paper presented at 25th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN) NYC, NY .
- 2016."Designing Vyo, a robotic Smart Home assistant: Bridging the gap between device and social agent."Paper presented at 25th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN) NYC, NY .
Selected Awards and Honors
- Andrew P. Sage Best Transactions Paper Award (IEEE) 2020
- Dennis G. Shepherd Teaching Award (College of Engineering, Cornell University) 2019
- Best Paper Award (Design) (IEEE/ACM International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI)) 2015
- Best Workshop Paper (Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS) Workshop on Human Robot Collaboration) 2013
- Best Paper Award (Cognitive Robotics) (IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA)) 2010
- Best Paper Finalist (IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN)) 2012
- Best Paper (Cognitive Robotics) (IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN)) 2008
- M.Sc. Tel Aviv University, 2000
- Ph.D. (Human-Robot Interaction), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2007