Dr. Bhaskaran's work seeks to promote the "democratization of simulation" through effective integration of simulation tools into engineering education. He directs the Swanson lab and has helped introduce industry-standard simulation tools into Cornell courses covering fluid mechanics, heat transfer, solid mechanics and numerical analysis. He has led the development of simcafe.org as an online portal for learning and teaching finite-element and CFD simulations. SimCafe is used worldwide in courses as well as for self-paced learning by students and industry professionals. He has developed a unified methodology for using simulation in disparate lecture-based and lab courses. This methodology helps students learn to approach simulations like an expert would rather than just pushing buttons and accepting results at face value. Dr. Bhaskaran's professional interests include: Engineering applications of simulation technology, reliable deployment of advanced simulation by generalist engineers and conceptual change in learners using simulations. He has organized two international workshops on simulation in engineering curricula.
- Labatut, Rodrigo A., James M. Ebeling, Rajesh Bhaskaran, Michael B. Timmons. 2015. "Exploring flow discharge strategies of a mixed-cell raceway (MCR) using 2-D computational fluid dynamics (CFD)." Aquacultural Engineering 66: 68-77.
- Bhaskaran, Rajesh. 2014. "SimCafe.org: An Easy-to-Use Online Resource for Learning and Teaching Engineering Simulation".
- Bhaskaran, Rajesh. 2014. "simcafe.org".
- Ray, Baidurja, Rajesh Bhaskaran. 2013. "Integrating simulation into the engineering curriculum: a case study." International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education 41 (3).
- Dimiduk, Kathryn, Rajesh Bhaskaran, Haolin Zhu, Yingxin Gao. 2011. "Helping students approach FEA simulations like experts." Paper presented at ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, June.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Dennis G. Shepherd Teaching Award (College of Engineering, Cornell University) 2017
- Selected to participate in Frontiers of Engineering Education symposium that brings together early-career faculty members who are developing innovative educational approaches (National Academy of Engineering) 2011
- Academic Scholarship (State of Iowa Black Belt Association) 1994
- Honor Society (Phi Kappa Phi) 1991
- Premium for Academic Excellence (PACE) award (Iowa State University) 1990
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited award (for graduating first in class) (Indian Institute of Technology, Madras) 1989
- B.Tech. (India) (Aerospace Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology, 1989
- M.S. (Aerospace engineering), Iowa State University, 1992
- Ph.D. (Aerospace engineering), Iowa State University, 1996