The award will enable research into a type of additive manufacturing that smashes together material particles at supersonic speed. Read more about Hassani receives NSF CAREER Award for cold spray 3D printing
Mostafa Hassani is an Assistant Professor jointly within the Sibley School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (MAE) and the Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) at Cornell. Prior to that, he completed a Senior Research Associate and Lecturer appointment at Cornell, a Post-doctoral appointment at MIT, and a Ph.D. degree at Politecnico di Milano.
Mostafa’s research interests lie at the intersection of solid mechanics, structural materials, and additive manufacturing. He uses in-situ approaches to understand deformation and failure of structural materials and their underlying physical mechanisms under extreme loading conditions such as under impact, at high temperatures, at small scales, etc. He also leverages extreme conditions of deformation in solid-state to enable novel additive processes for metals, alloys, and composites. Using advanced and operando characterizations, he develops process-microstructure-property relationships for a variety of additive manufacturing and solid phase processes.
Experimental and Applied Mechanics of Structures, Mechanical Properties of Materials, Processing, and Design, Finite Element Analysis for Mechanical and Aerospace Design, Mechanical Properties of Thin Films.
- M. Hassani-Gangaraj, D. Veysset, K.A. Nelson, C.A. Schuh “Melt-Driven Erosion in Microparticle Impact.” Nature Communications 9 (2018) 5077.
- M. Hassani-Gangaraj, D. Veysset, K.A. Nelson, C.A. Schuh “Melting can hinder impact-induced adhesion.” Physical Review Letters 119 (2017) 175701.
- M. Hassani-Gangaraj, K.S. Cho, H.J.L. Voigt, M. Guagliano, C.A. Schuh “Experimental assessment and simulation of surface nanocrystallization by severe shot peening.” Acta Materialia 97 (2015) 105-115.
- M. Hassani-Gangaraj, D. Veysset, V.K. Champagne, K.A. Nelson, C.A. Schuh “Adiabatic shear instability is not necessary for adhesion in cold spray.” Acta Materialia 158 (2018) 430-439.
- M. Hassani-Gangaraj, D. Veysset, K.A. Nelson, C.A. Schuh “In-situ observations of single micro-particle impact bonding.” Scripta Materialia 145 (2018) 9-13.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Acta Materialia outstanding reviewer award, 2018
- Roberto Rocca postdoctoral fellowship, 2015
- Ph.D. Cum Laude (with highest institute honors), Politecnico di Milano, 2014
- Nanotechnologies and Nanostructured Innovative Materials fellowship, 2012
- B.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering), University of Tabriz, 2007
- M.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering), Sharif University of Technology, 2010
- Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering), Politecnico di Milano, 2014