Meredith Silberstein is an Assistant Professor in the Sibley School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at Cornell University. She received her Ph.D. in June 2011 from the MIT Department of Mechanical Engineering with a major in solid mechanics and a minor in energy. Afterward, she served as a postdoctoral fellow at the Beckman Institute at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, investigating mechanochemically active materials.
Meredith Silberstein's Mechanics for Materials Design (MMD) Lab is devoted to using mechanical experiments and modeling methods in material design, with particular focus on multifunctional, active, and polymeric materials.
Statics, mechanics, mechanical properties of materials, and polymers.
- Silberstein, Meredith, L. D. Cremar, B. A. Beiermann, S. B. Kramer, J. S. Moore, T. D. Martinez, SR White, N. R. Sottos. 2013. "Modeling Mechanophore Activation within a Viscous Rubbery Network." Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids.
- Diesendruck, Charles E., Brian D. Steinberg, Sugai Naoto, Meredith Silberstein, Nancy R. Sottos, Scott R. White, Paul V. Braun, Jeffrey S. Moore. 2012. "Proton-Coupled Mechanochemical Transduction: A Mechanogenerated Acid." Journal of the American Chemical Society 134 (30): 12446-12449.
- Silberstein, Meredith, C L. Pai, G C. Rutledge, M C Boyce. 2012. "Elastic-plastic behavior of non-woven fibrous mats." Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 60: 295-318.
- Chen, N., M K. Koker, S. Uzun, M N Silberstein. 2016. "In-situ X-ray study of the deformation mechanisms of non-woven polypropylene." International Journal of Solids and Structures 97-98: 200-208.
- Van Meerbeek, I M., B C. Mac Murray, J W. Kim, S S. Robinson, P X. Zou, M N. Silberstein, R F Shepherd. 2016. "Morphing Metal and Elastomer Bicontinuous Foams for Reversible Stiffness, Shape Memory, and Self-Healing Soft Machines." Advanced Materials 28 (14): 2801-2806.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Hetényi Award for best research paper published in Experimental Mechanics in 2014 (Experimental Mechanics) 2015
- Haythornthwaite Research Initiation Grant from ASME Applied Mechanics Division 2013
- Mills Family Faculty Fellow 2013
- International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Travel Fellowship 2012
- Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship 2011
- B.S. (Mechanical Engineering), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
- M.S. (Department of Mechanical Engineering), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2008
- Ph.D. (Department of Mechanical Engineering), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2011