Hadas Ritz is a Senior Lecturer in the Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and a Faculty Teaching Fellow in the James McCormick Family Teaching Excellence Institute (MTEI) at Cornell University. She teaches required and elective courses covering a wide range of topics in the undergraduate Mechanical Engineering curriculum, including courses in engineering mathematics, solid mechanics, and dynamics. Through MTEI, she works with colleagues in the College of Engineering to improve teaching, with a focus on advising new faculty members. Her main teaching interests include solid mechanics and finite element analysis. Ritz was recognized with a 2013 Cornell College of Engineering Excellence in Teaching Award. She received her Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Cornell in 2008.
Solid mechanics, engineering mathematics, finite element analysis, introduction to mechanical engineering, and other undergraduate courses in mechanical engineering.
- Ritz, H., Schneider-Bentley, L. “Collaborative Problem Solving at Chalkboard vs. on Paper for First-Year Calculus”. Advances in Engineering Education 6.3 (2018): n3.
- Ritz, H., Silberstein, M. N., Andarawis-Puri, N. (2018, June), "Uniaxial Tension Testing Lab: Fewer Instructions for Better Results?" Paper presented at 2018 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Ritz, H., Schneider-Bentley, L. (2017, June), Chalkboard vs. Paper: Technique for Improving Collaboration in Active Learning Activities Paper presented at 2017 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Columbus, Ohio.
- Ritz, Hadas, P.R. Dawson, Tito Marin. 2010. "Analyzing the orientation dependence of stresses in polycrystals using vertices of the single crystal yield surface and crystallographic fibers of orientation space." Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 58: 54-72.
- Ritz, Hadas, P.R. Dawson. 2009. "Sensitivity to grain discretization of the simulated crystal stress distributions in FCC polycrystals."Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 17 (015001).
- Ritz, Hadas, P. R. Dawson, R. Rogge. 2007. "Measuring the influence of magnesium on the elastic anisotropy of aluminum using in-situ neutron diffraction." Journal of Neutron Research 15: 303-312.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Ralph S. Watts '72 Excellence in Teaching Award (College of Engineering, Cornell University) 2013
- B.S. (Mechanical Engineering), University of Illinois, Urbana, 2001
- M.S. (Mechanical Engineering), Cornell University, 2005
- Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering), Cornell University, 2008