Atieh Moridi, assistant prof in the Sibley School, was awarded the 2021 Schwartz Research Fund for her project that incorporates recent developments in 3D printing to develop metal biodegradable... Read more about Three life scientists awarded 2021 Schwartz funds
Atieh Moridi joined the faculty of the Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Cornell University in January 2019. Prior to that, she was postdoctoral fellow at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). She was awarded Ph.D. Cum Laude (the highest institute honors) in Mechanical Engineering at Politecnico di Milano, Italy. She received her B.Sc. and M.Sc. from Sharif University of Technology, Iran.
Moridi’s research interests lie in the areas of advanced materials and manufacturing. She exploits the intrinsic properties (i.e., rapid solidification, melt pool dynamic, intrinsic heat treatment) as well as flexibility of additive manufacturing (i.e., local or site specific metallurgy and incorporation of nanomaterials) to synthesize novel high performance materials. She studies processing, microstructure, and mechanical response of advanced materials using in-situ x-ray and electron microscopy techniques.
Additive Manufacturing, Introduction to Computer-Aided Manufacture, Introduction to Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Properties and Selection of Engineering Materials, Mechanical Synthesis, Mechanical Properties of Materials, Processing, and Design.
- A. Moridi, Powder consolidation using cold spray, Springer International Publishing, 2016.
- A. Moridi, S.M. Hassani-Gangaraj, S. Vezzú, L. Trško, M. Guagliano, Fatigue behavior of cold spray coating: The effect of conventional and severe shot peening as pre/post treatment, Surface and Coating Technology, (2015) 283, 247-254.
- A. Moridi, S.M. Hassani-Gangaraj, M. Guagliano, M. Dao. Cold spray coating: a review of the material systems and future perspectives, Surface Engineering 30 (2014), 369-395.
- A. Moridi, M. Azadi, G.H. Farrahi, Thermomechanical stress analysis of thermal barrier coating system considering thickness and roughness effect, Surface and Coating Technology, 243 (2014) 91-99.
- A. Moridi, S.M. Hassani-Gangaraj, M. Guagliano. A hybrid approach to determine critical and erosion velocities in the cold spray process. Applied Surface Science 273 (2013) 617-624.
Selected Awards and Honors
Lead author in the most read paper and the editor’s choice of surface engineering journal.
MIT-Italy Global Seed Fund, 2015.
Ph.D. Cum Laude (with highest honors) by Politecnico di Milano, 2015.
Roberto Rocca doctoral fellowship (MIT/Italy exchange PhD student program), 2013.
B.S. (Mechanical Engineering), Sharif University of Technology, Iran, 2009
M.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering), Sharif University of Technology, Iran, 2011
Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering), Polytechnic University of Milan, Italy, 2015