M.Eng. Degree Requirements
Requirements for Master of Engineering Students
To receive a Master of Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or Engineering Mechanics, the following requirements must be met:
- A minimum of 30 credit hours of graduate coursework (5000 level or above), Twenty-eight credits of which must be taken for a letter grade. Students may petition to have 4000 level courses count toward the 30-credit total if you are new to a specific subject matter or a 5000 level is not available in the particular subject matter. Most courses must be of a technical nature (those found in the College of Engineering, as well as those in mathematics, physics, and other sciences, are generally considered technical courses). One or two courses that are related to your overall goals for your degree but are non-technical (for example, finance) may be approved as well. Please consult your academic advisor.
- A minimum of 12 credit hours (not including the project or seminar courses) of coursework in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (MAE).
- A project (usually taken under MAE 6900) for at least 4 and not more than 8 credits resulting in a written report. The project may be a design project or a research project and can be a team or individual project. Meeting this requirement involves submitting a final report to your advisor, receiving a grade for the course, submitting an abstract of your project report and an electronic copy of your final report to the Graduate Field Office. A Project Approval Form, signed by your project advisor, is due at the end of the second week of classes of the semester you are beginning the project.
- A Program of Course form. Courses taken must match the “Program of Courses” form. The “Program of Courses” form is filed in the Graduate Field Office at the beginning of your program and any changes made to it must be updated by submitting a new form. The completed “Program of Courses” must be submitted to the Graduate Field Office by the end of the second week of classes.
- A minimum cumulative M.Eng. GPA of 2.5.
- No grade below a C-.
- One residence unit (at least one semester registered as a full-time student in the Graduate School).
- Registration limit of 20 credits per semester, minimum registration 12 credits per semester.