Professor Savransky received his PhD in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering from Princeton University, where he was a member of the High Contrast Imaging Laboratory. After completing his doctorate in 2011, he became a postdoctoral fellow at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory where he assisted in the integration and testing of the Gemini Planet Imager and participated in the planning of the Gemini Planet Imager Exoplanet Survey.
Professor Savransky's research is comprised of a variety of problems related to the detection and characterization of extrasolar planets. These include investigations of advanced control and estimation for active wavefront control systems; computer vision and machine learning applications for automated optical system alignment and astronomical image post-processing; optimal scheduling for autonomous space observatories and ground-based surveys; and statistical analysis of large astronomical surveys.
Dynamics and control systems, celestial mechanics, computational and numerical methods.
- Savransky, Dmitry, S. J. Thomas, L. A. Poyneer, B. A. Macintosh. 2013. "Computer Vision Applications for Coronagraphic Optical Alignment and Image Processing." Applied Optics 52 (14): 3394-3403.
- Savransky, Dmitry, E. Cady, J. Kasdin. 2011. "Parameter Distributions of Keplerian Orbits." The Astrophysical Journal 728 (66).
- Savransky, Dmitry, N. J. Kasdin, E. Cady. 2010. "Analyzing the Designs of Planet-Finding Missions." Chicago Journals - Astronomical Society of the Pacific 122 (890).
- Nielsen, E L., R J. De Rosa, J. Wang, J. Rameau, I. Song, J R. Graham, B. Macintosh, M. Ammons, V P. Bailey, T S. Barman, J. Bulger, J K. Chilcote, T. Cotten, R. Doyon, G. Duchêne, M P. Fitzgerald, K B. Follette, A Z. Greenbaum, P. Hibon, L W. Hung, P. Ingraham, P. Kalas, Q M. Konopacky, J E. Larkin, J. Maire, F. Marchis, M S. Marley, C. Marois, S. Metchev, M A. Millar-Blanchaer, R. Oppenheimer, D W. Palmer, J. Patience, M D. Perrin, L A. Poyneer, L. Pueyo, A. Rajan, F T. Rantakyrö, D. Savransky, A C. Schneider, A. Sivaramakrishnan, R. Soummer, S. Thomas, J K. Wallace, K. Ward-Duong, S J. Wiktorowicz, S G Wolff. 2016. "Dynamical Mass Measurement of the Young Spectroscopic Binary V343 Normae AaAb Resolved With the Gemini Planet Imager." The Astronomical Journal 152 (6): 175-175.
- Millar-Blanchaer, M A., J J. Wang, P. Kalas, J R. Graham, G. Duchêne, E L. Nielsen, M. Perrin, D S. Moon, D. Padgett, S. Metchev, S M. Ammons, V P. Bailey, T. Barman, S. Bruzzone, J. Bulger, C H. Chen, J. Chilcote, T. Cotten, R J. De Rosa, R. Doyon, Z H. Draper, T M. Esposito, M P. Fitzgerald, K B. Follette, B L. Gerard, A Z. Greenbaum, P. Hibon, S. Hinkley, L W. Hung, P. Ingraham, M. Johnson-Groh, Q. Konopacky, J E. Larkin, B. Macintosh, J. Maire, F. Marchis, M S. Marley, C. Marois, B C. Matthews, R. Oppenheimer, D. Palmer, J. Patience, L. Poyneer, L. Pueyo, A. Rajan, J. Rameau, F T. Rantakyrö, D. Savransky, A C. Schneider, A. Sivaramakrishnan, I. Song, R. Soummer, S. Thomas, D. Vega, J K. Wallace, K. Ward-Duong, S. Wiktorowicz, S Wolff. 2016. "Imaging an 80 AU Radius Dust Ring Around the F5V Star HD 157587." The Astronomical Journal 152 (5): 128-128.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Wu Prize for Excellence (School of Engineering and Applied Science, Princeton University) 2010
- Professor Martin Summerfield Memorial Graduate Fellowship 2007
- Cummins Merit Fellowship for Engineering Graduate Students 2006
- B.S. (Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering), Cornell University, 2004
- M.Eng. (Aerospace Engineering), Cornell University, 2005
- Ph.D. (Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering), Princeton University, 2011