The award was announced March 31 and comes with $1 million in research funding from the National Science Foundation’s Division of Civil, Mechanical and Manufacturing Innovation. Read more about Hernandez wins BRITE Fellow award for engineered living materials
Dr. Hernandez is a Professor in the Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and an Adjunct Scientist at the Hospital for Special Surgery.
Dr. Hernandez's research in biomechanics examines the musculoskeletal system and microscopic organisms. Current projects include understanding how the microbiome influences bone, arthritis and infection of total joint replacements and how bacteria are influenced by mechanical stress and strain.
- *Genova, L.A., *Roberts, M.F., Wong, Y-C, Harper, C.E., Santiago, A.G., Fu, B., Srivastava, A., Jung, W., Kreminski, L., Mao, X., Sun, X., Yang, F., Hui, C-Y, +Chen, P, +Hernandez, C.J.. (2019) “Mechanical Stress Compromises Bacterial Toxin Efflux.” Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 116 (51) 25462-25467 https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/11/25/1909562116
- Torres, A.M., Trikanad, A.A., Aubin, C.A., Lambers, F.M., Luna, M., Rimnac, C.M., Zavattieri, P., Hernandez, C.J. (2019) “Bone-Inspired Microarchitectured Materials with Enhanced Fatigue Life” Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 16 (49) 24457-24462. https://www.pnas.org/content/116/49/24457
- *Torres, A.M., *Matheny, J.B., Keaveny T.M., Taylor, D., Rimnac, C.M., Hernandez, C.J. (2016) “Material Heterogeneity in Cancellous Bone Reduces Permanent Deformations After Mechanical Failure.” Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 113(11): 2892-2897. https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1520539113
- Hernandez, C.J., Yang, X., Ji, G., Niu, Y., Sethuraman, A.S., Koressel, J., Shirley, M., Fields, M.W., Chyou, S., Li, T.M., Luna, M., Callahan, R.L., Ross, F.P., Lu, T.T., Brito, I.L., Carli, A.V., Bostrom, M.P.G. (2019) “Disruption of the Gut Microbiome Increases Risk of Periprosthetic Joint Infection in Mice” Clin Orthop Rel Res. 477(11):2588-2598. doi: 10.1097/CORR.0000000000000851. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31283731/
- Guss J.D., Horsfield, M.W., Fontenele, F.F., Sandoval, T.N., Luna, M., Apoorva, F., Lima, S.F., Bicalho, R.C., Singh, A., Ley, R.E., van der Meulen, M.C.H., Goldring, S.R., Hernandez, C.J. (2017) “Alterations to the Gut Microbiome Impair Bone Strength and Tissue Material Properties” J Bone Miner Res. 32(6):1343-1353. https://asbmr.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jbmr.3114.
Selected Awards and Honors
- BRITE Fellow, National Science Foundation, CMMI Division, 2022
- Educator of the Year, Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE), 2021
- Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), 2021
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), 2019
- Fuller Albright Award, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, 2018
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2017
- Zellman Warhaft Faculty Commitment to Diversity Award, Cornell University, 2017
- B.S. (Engineering Science (Biomedical Engineering), Harvard University, 1996
- M.S. (Mechanical Engineering), Stanford University, 1997
- Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering), Stanford University, 2001