A collaboration, led by Christopher Hernandez, professor in the Sibley School, has been awarded a five-year, $3.6 million grant from the National Institutes of Health to explore the ways that the gut... Read more about Researchers look to gut microbiome to improve bone health
Dr. Hernandez is a Professor in the Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and an Adjunct Scientist at the Hospital for Special Surgery.
Dr. Hernandez's research in biomechanics examines the musculoskeletal system and microscopic organisms. Current projects include understanding how the microbiome influences bone, arthritis and infection of total joint replacements and how bacteria are influenced by mechanical stress and strain.
Dr. Hernandez has taught undergraduate classes in Mechanics of Materials and Aerospace Structures, graduate courses in Biomechanics and provided lectures on the musculoskeletal system to medical students and orthopaedic residents.
Dr. Hernandez regularly partners with Cornell Diversity Programs in Engineering and organizes professional development sessions for the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers annual conference. Additionally, Dr. Hernandez serves on committees for the Orthopaedic Research Society and the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research.
- Torres, A.M., Trikanad, A.A., Aubin, C.A., Lambers, F.M., Luna, M., Rimnac, C.M., Zavattieri, P., Hernandez, C.J. (2018) “Bone-Inspired Microarchitectured Materials with Enhanced Fatigue Life.” bioRxiv 494633.
- Guss, J.D., Ziemian, S.N., Luna, M., Sandoval, T.N., Holyoak, D.T., Guisado, G.G., Roubert, S., Callahan, R.L., Brito, I.L., van der Meulen, M.C.H., Goldring, S.R., Hernandez, C.J. (2018) “The effects of metabolic syndrome, obesity, and the gut microbiome on load-induced osteoarthritis.” Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 27 (1): 129-139..
- Guss J.D., Horsfield, M.W., Fontenele, F.F., Sandoval, T.N., Luna, M., Apoorva, F., Lima, S.F., Bicalho, R.C., Singh, A., Ley, R.E., van der Meulen, M.C.H., Goldring, S.R., Hernandez, C.J. (2017) “Alterations to the Gut Microbiome Impair Bone Strength and Tissue Material Properties.” J Bone Miner Res. 32(6):1343-1353.
- Torres, A. M., Matheny, J. B., Keaveny, T. M, Taylor. D., Rimnac, C. M., Hernandez, C. J. 2016."Material Heterogeneity in Cancellous Bone Reduces Permanent Deformations After Mechanical Failure." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.113: 2892-2897.
- Sun, X., W. D. Weinlandt, H. Patel, M. Wu, C. J. Hernandez. 2014. "A Microfluidic Platform for Profiling Biomechanical Properties of Bacteria." Lab chip 14 (14): 2491-2498.
- Hernandez, C.J., Guss, J.D., Luna, M., Goldring, S.R. (2016) “Links Between the Microbiome and Bone” J Bone Miner Res. 31 (9): 1638-46.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Elected Fellow of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR), 2019
- Elected Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering) (AIMBE), 2019
- Fuller Albright Award, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, 2018
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2017
- Zellman Warhaft Faculty Commitment to Diversity Award, Cornell University, 2017
- B.S. (Engineering Science (Biomedical Engineering), Harvard University, 1996
- M.S. (Mechanical Engineering), Stanford University, 1997
- Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering), Stanford University, 2001