With fond thoughts of his life and works.
June 14, 1963 - Sept. 10, 2014
Obituary - By: Isaac Garcia
Celebration of Life to be held on Friday, Nov. 7th at 3:00 pm. The event will be held in Anabel Taylor Chapel.
A reception will follow nearby.
Dr. Garcia held interests in several areas of dynamics and controls, especially sensors and actuators involving smart materials.
- Modeling and Analyses of Flapping Wings
- Design and Control of Nanoscale Smart Material Actuators
- Control of Reconfigurable Morphing Aircraft
- Energy Harvesting for Biological Systems: Lab-on-a-Bird
- Aeroelastic Energy Harvesting Modeling with Applications to Urban Terrain
- Artificial Muscles for a Bipedal Walking Robot
- Mesoscale Hydraulics for Bio-inspired Robots
- 2011. "Modeling and Testing of a Novel Aeroelastic Flutter Energy Harvester." Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 133 (1): 011010-011021. .
- 2012. "Designing maximum power output into piezoelectric energy harvesters." Smart Materials and Structures 21: 8. .
- 2012. "Hydraulic Actuated Muscles." Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 23 (3): 301-312. .
- 2012. "Wake Synergies Enhance Performance in Aeroelastic Vibration Energy Harvesting." Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 23 (10): 1131-1141. .
- 2010. "Power Optimization of Vibration Energy Harvesters Utilizing Passive and Active Circuits". 21 (13) 1342-1361. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- AIAA Abe M. Zarem Advisor Award in Aeronautics, 2010 & 2011 (AIAA Guidance Navigation and Control Conference) 2010
- Merrill Presidential Scholar Advisor Recognition 2010
- Merrill Presidential Scholar Advisor Recognition 2008
- ASEE Air Force Summer Faculty Fellow, Eglin AFB, Florida 2005
- Dennis G. Shepherd Teaching Award (Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering) 2006
- BS (Aerospace Engineering), State University of New York at Buffalo, 1985
- MS (Aerospace Engineering), State University of New York at Buffalo, 1988
- Ph D (Aerospace Engineering), State University of New York at Buffalo, 1990