Degree Requirements for Master of Engineering Students
- A minimum of 30 credit-hours of graduate coursework
- 5000 level courses and above are considered graduate level.
- With approval, some 4000 level courses may count toward the 30-credit total if you are new to a specific subject matter.
- Twenty-eight credits must be taken for a letter grade.
- Most courses must be of a technical nature (those found in the College of Engineering as well as those in mathematics, physics, and other sciences are generally considered technical courses). One or two courses that are related to your overall goals for your degree but are non-technical (for example, finance) may be approved as well.
- A minimum of 12 credit-hours (not including seminar courses or MAE 6900) of coursework in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering or closely related field.
- A design project (usually taken under MAE 6900) for at least 4 and not more than 8 credits resulting in a written report. A project approval form must be submitted within the first three weeks of the first semester in the program. Meeting the project requirement involves receiving a grade for the course, submitting an abstract signed by the project advisor, and sending a final copy of the report electronically to the Graduate Field Office
- An approved Program of Courses. Each student will have an individual Program of Courses approved by the director of the M.Eng. program or the student’s assigned advisor. This course plan is documented on a Program of Courses approval form that must be filed in the Graduate Field Office by the end of the second week classes in the first semester of your program. Any changes made after that time must be initialed by your advisor or the M.Eng. director. Completed coursework must match your Program of Courses form; unapproved courses or unapproved changes will not count toward graduation requirements.
- A minimum cumulative M.Eng. GPA of 2.5.
- No grade below a C-.
- One residence unit (at least one semester registered as a full-time student in the Graduate School).