MATLAB from The MathWorks is an interactive program for numerical computation and data visualization. It is the standard tool for technical computing used in our classes.
- MATLAB Basics Tutorial
If you are unfamiliar with MATLAB or have a very foggy memory of it, go through this quick tutorial from the University of Michigan and Carnegie Mellon University.
- Making Plots in MATLAB
A quick introductory tutorial on plotting in MATLAB from the same site.
- Introduction to M-files
An "M-file" is a simple text file containing your MATLAB code. Indispensable for writing even simple programs in MATLAB.
- Dealing with Errors in MATLAB
The plan of action when MATLAB refuses to do what you want it to and some common mistakes.
- A More Comprehensive Introduction
Covers basic concepts such as loops, if statements, subroutines, etc. necessary to become a competent MATLAB programmer. It's well worth your time to go through the material in this introduction as you move beyond simple MATLAB programs. Includes an index.
- Fitting Polynomial Models to Data
A succinct description of how to "fit a line" to a set of data using MATLAB.
- Setting up and solving a set of linear algebraic equations
- Solving Ordinary Differential Equations
- Debugging M-files
- Improving the Speed of MATLAB Calculations
- Control Tutorials
An extensive set of tutorials on using MATLAB for the analysis and design of automatic control systems.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Common Problems
Common problems that first-time MATLAB programmers encounter.
- Look for answers to your question in this short FAQ or this short FAQ.
- If your question is still unanswered, turn to this large FAQ from The MathWorks. The "Frequently Asked Questions" are under "Top Solutions by Category".